Skip to main content

Read our latest coronavirus updates

Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships


  • Coronavirus update

    From Friday 10 July, marriages and civil partnerships can take place indoors.

    Please call us on 028 9027 0455 or email with your contact details to discuss your marriage or civil partnership arrangements further.

    The ceremony room at City Hall holds a maximum of seven people in total, when allowing for social distancing. 

    If your ceremony has more than seven people, please call the Registration Office to discuss other options. We have allocated two additional rooms to accommodate couples who are having larger ceremonies while still maintaining social distancing.  

    Visit nidirect for more information on marriage restrictions.

    Marriage notices

    We can only accept new applications for religious and humanist marriage notices by post at this time. 

    Please send your original completed marriage notice forms, along with relevant documents, to:

    Belfast City Hall
    Belfast BT1 5GS.  

    We will accept photocopies of your birth certificates and passports, but will need to see the originals before the ceremony takes place. You can bring these when you collect your schedule. Contact us to discuss payment or you can send a cheque, made payable to Belfast City Council. 

    Please contact the Registration Office on 028 9027 0455 to discuss giving notice for a civil marriage.

  • Arranging your day

    We can help you organise your special day.

    If you plan to get married in Belfast, it is important that you read all of the information below. Please complete our enquiry form if you need any further advice. 

    An appointment is essential for marriage and civil partnership notices. Please call us on 028 9027 0455 or email and provide a contact telephone number.

  • Marriage notice

    You must give at least 28 days’ notice to get married. If you don't give this in time, you may need to postpone your marriage. 

    You can give notice up to a year before the date of your marriage. We recommend a period of 10 to 12 weeks’ notice for a religious or humanist marriage.


  • Religious marriages

    The ceremony may, with the agreement of the Officiant, take place anywhere in Northern Ireland. Services are conducted by authorised people, according to the relevant tradition.

    You still need to give notice at the Registrar’s office in Belfast City Hall if you are having a religious ceremony. 

    If you are getting married in a different district, for example Newtownabbey, you will give notice in Mossley Mill. You can contact us for advice. 

    Once you have given notice, we’ll let you know when you can collect the schedule. The bride or groom can collect the schedule and give it to the marriage conductor.

  • Civil marriages

    A civil marriage ceremony can be conducted by a registrar or deputy registrar for the district in which it is to take place, or a Humanist celebrant.  

    If you decide to have your ceremony at our Registrar’s office in City Hall, or at one of our approved venues, please contact us for availability and advice.

  • Humanist marriages

    Humanist ceremonies are conducted by a Humanist celebrant. Ceremonies can only take place in a venue which is approved by us, for example, a licenced hotel. 

    You still need to give notice at the Registrar’s office in Belfast City Hall if you are having a humanist ceremony in an approved venue in the Belfast district.

    Once you have given notice, we’ll let you know when you can collect the schedule. The bride or groom can collect the schedule and give it to the humanist celebrant.

  • Documents needed

    Before you can get married in Belfast, you and your partner will need to complete a marriage notice form and produce other essential documents. You will need a separate form for each person.

    This still applies if you are having a religious or humanist ceremony. The marriage notice forms must be signed by the religious conductor. You can give notice up to one year in advance of your wedding but must be at least 28 days’ before you get married.

    The following documents must be provided by both you and your partner when returning your marriage notice forms:

    • your full (long version) birth or adoption certificate  
    • your passport or national identity card - the Registrar can advise on alternatives if you do not hold either of these
    • a consent form (if you aged 16 or 17)
    • if you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final)
    • if you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
    • if you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

    If you're a non-EEA citizen, please read nidirect's information on getting married in Northern Ireland.

    Once the marriage has taken place, the schedule should be returned to the Registration office within three working days for the marriage to be registered. You can then purchase a copy of the marriage certificate for £8. 

  • Marriage fees



    Religious wedding £44

    Civil wedding in Registrar's office (Belfast City Hall)

    £180 weekdays

    £306 Saturdays

    £360 bank holidays

    Civil wedding in an approved venue

    £213 weekdays

    £280 Saturdays

    £312 bank holidays

    Civil wedding in a venue of your choice

    £213 weekdays

    Plus £400 to apply for a temporary marriage licence

    £280 Saturdays
    £312 bank holidays
  • More information

    Please visit nidirect's website for more guidance on marriage procedures

Registration office

028 9027 0455

Belfast City Hall, Belfast, BT1 5GS

Read aloud icon Read aloud