Skip to main content

Park events, programmed activity, photography and filming

Park events, programmed activity, photography and filming

Our parks and open spaces are available for:

  • programmed activity and fitness classes
  • park events
  • wedding and civil partnership photography
  • commercial filming and photography

Programmed activity and fitness classes

You must have our permission if you want to deliver an activity or fitness session in one of our parks or open spaces. We must receive all the relevant paperwork prior to the activity taking place.

Organise an event in our parks

If you would like to organise an event in one of our parks or open spaces, contact us to discuss. We must receive all your completed event documentation at least 20 working days before the event taking place so that we can process your event request.

You need committee approval for events that:

  • will last for more than three days (including set up or take down periods)
  • will require the closure of the site or a proportion of the facility which will have an impact on regular users
  • will have alcohol on sale at the event
  • will have an admission charge
  • could be controversial

All documentation for this type of event must be submitted at least four months in advance to us.

We will advise you on which documents you will need to complete for your event, such as the 24 point event plan or small event action plan. You must also complete a risk assessment form and give us a copy of your public liability insurance for any events.

For events such as large scale concerts, music festivals and cultural events, if a request for an event is approved:

  • an agreement may need to be drawn up between the council and applicant
  • a bond of intent (deposit) will be paid to the council at the time of the provisional booking
  • full ground reinstatement costs will be met by the applicant and this will be subject to a bond that will be retained in the event of noncompliance
  • fee for the use of the facility

Entertainment licences will be required where you provide or want to provide entertainment at your event on a Belfast city Council-owned park or open space. The cost and type of licence depends on the entertainment provided and licences can be issued for both indoor and outdoor events. Conditions will vary depending on how often you provide entertainment and the nature of the premises or facility where it will take place.

If you wish to apply to organise an event, email

Wedding and civil partnership photography in our parks

Take your wedding or civil partnership photographs in one of our parks. The fee is £24 for a two-hour slot.

You must get written permission to use any of our parks as a location for your photography. You should book well in advance to secure your date and location.

How to book your photography

To book your photography in one of our parks, you must contact us. You can do this by email to check if the date you want is available.

If your date is available, we'll send you a booking form and request a payment of £24. You can pay by card or by cheque. You will need to agree to our terms and conditions which will be included with the booking form.
Once we receive your form and payment, we'll send you a letter of permission for your photography. You must bring the letter along on the day. Your booking isn't confirmed until you receive your permission letter.
You must bring the letter along on the day, as you’ll need to present the letter to a member of staff.

Commercial filming and photography

You must have our permission if you want to film or take commercial photographs in our parks.

Applications must be submitted in writing at least 20 working days in advance for filming or photography. You must also complete a risk assessment form, provide us with a copy of your public liability insurance and a charge may be levied if the filming is for commercial purposes.

There are fees for commercial filming, television productions and photography. Exceptions for example news, news related current affairs or as part of an educational course will need prior agreement with Marketing and Corporate Communications. You can contact Marketing and Corporate Communications by emailing

Hourly cost 

These hourly fees are valid until 31 March 2024.

  • TV productions, commercials and small films: £67
  • commercial photography: £25
Read aloud icon Read aloud