Disability Action Plan
Our Disability Action Plan is a detailed vision on how we plan to promote positive attitudes towards disabled people, and encourage their participation in public life in relation to our functions from April 2019 to March 2022. These duties reaffirm our commitment to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
Fulfilling our disability duties
We must submit a Disability Action Plan to the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland, showing how we propose to fulfil these duties. We monitor these annually and submit a report to the Equality Commission.
What we have achieved since 2019
Since 2019, we have:
- made sure the disability duties have been complied with and the disability action plan has been effectively implemented
- achieved effective communication and provision of necessary training and guidance for staff
- confirmed our commitment to submitting an annual report for 2019-20 to the Equality Commission on the implementation of the plan
What we are doing in 2021
By 2021, we will:
- Allocate all necessary resources in order to build objectives and targets relating to the disability duties into corporate and annual operating plans
- Confirm our commitment to submitting an annual report to the Equality Commission on the implementation of the plan as well as carrying out a review of the plan
- Commit to consulting with disabled people when implementing and reviewing the council’s disability plans
- Undertake a planned programme of communication and training on the disability duties for all staff and councillors
Access to our disability action plan
As part of our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and good relations, we want everyone to be able to access the documents we produce. Our Disability Action Plan is published online and is also available in:
- large print
- audio cassette
- computer disk
- Easy read
- sign language format
- plain language
For a copy, contact the Equality and Diversity Unit by email email@example.com, contact us by SignVideo or call 028 9032 0202.