If you sell certain poisons within the Belfast City Council electoral area, you must register with us.
Some of the poisons which must be registered are usually found in common products such as drain cleaners, kettle descalers, insecticides, pesticides and weedkillers.
Register poisonous substances online
It costs £5 to register to hold poisonous substances. Each premises should be registered separately. You must register before 1 April each year.
Please read the terms and conditions for online services and our privacy statement.
You can also call us on 028 9027 0428 to request a copy of the registration form.
Renew an existing poisonous substances registration online
Once you have registered, you must renew your registration by 31 March each year. We'll issue you with a reminder but it's up to you to complete the renewal process. Renewals are £3 and each premises must be renewed separately.
Renew an existing poisonous substances registration
You can also call us on 028 9027 0428 to request a copy of the renewal form.
Poisons covered under Part II of the Poisons List
- Arsenic, compounds of, the following:
- Calcium arsenites
- Copper acetoarsenite
- Copper arsenates
- Copper arsenites
- Lead arsenates
- Barium, salts of, the following:
- Barium carbonate
- Barium silicofluoride
- Dinitrocresols (DNOC), their compounds with a metal or a base
- Dinoseb, its compounds with a metal or a base
- Drazoxolon, its salts
- Endothal, its salts
- Fentin, compounds of
- Formic acid
- Hydrochloric acid
- Hydrofluoric acid:
- alkali metal bifluoirdes
- ammonium bifluoride
- alkali metal fluorides
- ammonium fluoride
- sodium silicofluoride
- Mercuric chloride - mercuric iodide
- Organic compounds of mercury, except compounds which contain a methyl (CH3) group directly linked to the mercury atom.
- Metallic oxalates
- Nicotine, its salts, its quaternary compounds
- Nitric acid
Paraquat, salts of
- Phenols in substances containing less than 60 per cent; weight in weight, of phenols; compounds of phenol with a metal in substances containing less than the equivalent of 60 per cent; weight in weight, of phenols
- Phosphoric acid
- Phosphorus compounds, the following:
- demeton-S-methyl sulphone
- Potassium hydroxide
- Sodium hydroxide
- Sodium nitrite
- Sulphuric acid
- Zinc phosphide
If you have any queries or complaints about the inspection or the registration process, or to find out if a business has registered a poisonous substance, please contact us.