Skip to main content
Licences and permits

Petroleum licence

  • Licences for petroleum

    We license and inspect petrol filling stations (and other places that store and dispense petrol) to make sure the design and operation of the premises meets safety controls.

    There's potential for accidents at all sites where petrol is stored and dispensed. As petrol is very hazardous and flammable, it’s very important that these sites have properly designed and constructed facilities which are used and looked after correctly.

  • How to apply

    Apply for a petroleum licence

    For more information, email or call us on 028 9027 0650. 

  • Who needs a petroleum licence?

    You must have a valid petroleum licence if you have premises where petroleum is stored and dispensed for resale, such as petrol stations or private sites. 

    If you aren't sure whether you need a licence, contact us. 

  • What types of licences are available?

    You can apply for:

    • a new licence (or grant)
    • a renewal of an existing licence 
    • a transfer of an existing licence

    If you're applying for a new licence, or want to renew an existing one, you must also tell us the maximum quantity of petrol you intend to store, as this determines the cost of your licence. There are three categories:

    • up to 2,500 litres
    • 2,500 and 50,000 litres
    • more than 50,000 litres
  • Documents needed

    Once you know the type of licence you need, you can apply online or fill in an application form and return it by post.

    For new licences, you must submit four copies of the plans of your premises (at a scale of 1:100).

    If you are applying for a new licence, a renewal or transfer of an existing licence, you must supply the following certificates.  

    Documents required for petroleum licensing applications  
    Types of document  Document duration
    Electrical certificate   One year
    Fire appliance certificate   One year

    It's your responsibility to submit all certificates we need.  We only accept original certificates - faxes or photocopies will not be accepted. Certificates will be copied and the originals returned to you, if requested. 

    As well as the certificates, applicants must also submit a completed petroleum licensing risk assessment.

    Contact us if you want a copy of our guidance document “documents required for petroleum installations” which gives full information about these documents.

  • How much do petroleum licences cost?

    The cost of a petroleum licences depends on the type of licence you are applying for and the amount of petroleum spirit to be stored. These fees are non-refundable, even if your application is refused.

    Type of licence   Quantity of petroleum  Fee (per year of licence)   
    Grants (new licences) and renewals   Up to 2,500 litres  £42
     2,500 to 50,000 litres  £58
     More than 50,000 litres  £120
    Transfer   £8 (one-off fee)

    Fees can be paid by cheque or postal or money order (made payable to Belfast City Council), or by credit and debit card using our online payment system.

  • Timescales

    We aim to issue your petroleum licence, if approved, within 42 calendar days of receiving your application.

    We cannot issue the licence until any work that we require on your premises has been completed and you have provided all the documents we need.

    During this time, our licensing surveyor will inspect your premises. We cannot progress your application or carry out an inspection until we receive four copies of the floor plans of your premises.

    You should not store or dispense petroleum at your premises until we have issued a valid petroleum licence.

  • Repairs and maintenance

    We may ask for remedial work to be undertaken at your premises to bring the site up to a suitable standard.

    We use the Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration (APEA)’s Guidance for the Design, Construction, Modification, Maintenance and Decommissioning of Filling Stations, as a guide for good practice and legal requirements (known as the Blue Book). 

    The APEA guide provides technical details for storing and dispensing petroleum products used as fuels for motor vehicles at public filling stations. It also includes information on minimising the fire and explosion risks. To buy the guide, go to Apea (link opens in new window). 

  • Appeals

    If we refuse your application or impose terms, conditions or restrictions which you are not happy with, or if we revoke your licence, you have the right to appeal our decision.

    You must appeal, in writing, to the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) within ten days of receiving our decision. We will send you a certificate outlining the reasons behind it.

  • What happens when a licence is approved?

    You should not store or dispense petroleum at your premises until a valid petroleum licence has been issued.

    You should not consider your licence granted until you receive formal confirmation from us.

    When we issue your licence, it is important that you, as the licensee, as well as everyone employed on your premises, comply with the conditions of the licence.

    Email mail or call 028 9027 0650 for more information about petroleum licensing conditions.

    If you do not comply with the conditions of the licence, you can be fined up to £100 for each day you do not comply.

    The occupier of licensed premises must display the petroleum licence and its conditions on the site, in a position where they can be easily read by employees. There is a penalty of up to £20 per day if this is not displayed, or to any person who pulls down or defaces the licence and its conditions.

    All petroleum licences are granted for a period of up to 12 months and are subject to standard conditions. Applications for renewals should be submitted at least one month before your licence is due to expire. 

  • Exemptions from petroleum licencing

    You do not need a licence to store petroleum spirit or petroleum spirit mixtures in containers in your workplace. This is regulated under the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003 (DSEAR).

    This legislation protects employees and premises against fire risks, explosion and other similar events which could arise from dangerous substances in the workplace.

    Under DSEAR, workplaces must:

    • carry out a risk assessment of any work activities which involve dangerous substances
    • put measures in place to remove or reduce risks as far as reasonably possible
    • provide equipment and procedures to deal with accidents and emergencies
    • provide information and training for employees
    • ‘zone’ explosive and mark them if necessary

    Employers and business owners are responsible for complying with the regulations.

    The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland is normally responsible for ensuring that industrial sites comply with DSEAR, while we monitor other sites, such as retail premises.

    For more information, call the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland helpline on 0800 0320 121, or visit their information and advice centre.

Contact us

For more information and advice, get in touch.

028 9027 0650

Building Control, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP

Read aloud icon Read aloud