Published: 4 July 2023
Audit of Accounts
Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Articles 17 and 18 of the Local Government (Northern Ireland) Order 2005 and the Local Government (Accounts and Audit) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015:
From 27 July 2023 to 23 August 2023 inclusive between 9am and 4.15pm on Monday to Friday any member of the public, on application in advance in writing to the Director of Finance, Belfast City Council, 9 Adelaide Street, BT2 8DJ may inspect the accounts of the above named Council for the year ended 31 March 2023 and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts relating to them and make copies thereof.
Notice is also given that on or after 24 August 2023, at the request of an interested person*, the local government auditor, will give that person an opportunity to question the auditor about the accounts, and that any such interested person may attend before the auditor and make objections -
- (i) as to any matter in respect of which the auditor could take action under Articles 19 or 20 of the Local Government (Northern Ireland) Order 2005; or
- (ii) as to any other matter in respect of which the auditor could make a report under Article 9 of that Order.
No objection may be made unless the auditor has received written notice of the proposed objection, stating the facts on which the interested person proposes to rely and containing, so far as possible -
- (a) particulars of any item of account which is alleged to be contrary to law;
- (b) particulars of -
- (i) any person from whom it is alleged that the auditor should certify under Articles 20 of the Local Government (Northern Ireland) Order that a sum or amount of loss or deficiency is due, and
- (ii) that sum or amount, and
- (c) particulars of any matter in respect of which it is proposed that the auditor should make a report under Article 9 of that Order.
Such written requests and notices should be sent by the 14 September 2023 to the Local Government Auditor, Colette Kane at 106 University Street, Belfast, BT7 1EU. A copy of any notice of proposed objection must also be sent to the Council at the address below. The auditor plans to close the audit and certify accounts at a date in the period from 15 September 2023 to 29 September 2023.
*“Interested person”: (a) a local government elector for the district of the body to which the audit relates; (b) a person liable for rates in respect of any hereditament situated in that district; or (c) a representative of a person mentioned in (a) or (b).
Mr Trevor Wallace
Director of Finance
Belfast City Council
9 Adelaide Street