Save, print and post the completed road closure application form to Building Control, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use this form if you want to restrict or prohibit temporarily the use of a road, or any part of it, by all vehicles, or vehicles of any class or by pedestrians for the holding of a special event on the road. This includes suspending or modifying any statutory provision relating to the affected road or its use by traffic or pedestrians such as the suspension of parking provision or waiting restrictions.
It can therefore be used to wholly close a road to all traffic or restrict parts of it by putting in lane closures. It can allow for the suspension of taxi ranks, bus stops, on street parking, as well as permitting vehicles access to pedestrian areas.
Refer to the Department of Infrastructure Roads guidance document ‘Special Events on Roads’ before filling in this form. Contact us if you do not have the required information or if you need help and we will either assist you over the phone or we can arrange a pre-consultation meeting. If you have any further information that you feel is relevant, include this with your application.
Fees: For information on fees, refer to ‘Special Events on Public Roads Fees’. You must enclose the correct fee or your application will be returned.
Public liability insurance: You must complete the public liability insurance declaration and return it to us.
1. Applicant details
First name(s): _________________________________________________
Role or position: _________________________________________________
Company, club or society name (if applicable): _________________________________________________
Charity number (if applicable): _________________________________________________
2. Event details
(For multiple road closures or restrictions, provide a separate detailed sheet of your proposals)
Name of event: _________________________________________________
Type of event: _________________________________________________
Tell us where the event will be held and provide a detailed map or street plan showing the extent of the public works to be involved:
Has this event been held previously? Yes ▢ No ▢
Have the details changed from the previous event? Yes ▢ No ▢
Were there any problems with a previous event? Yes ▢ No ▢
If you answered yes to any of these questions, give details: _________________________________________________
Details of the closure or restriction
Is the road to be closed? ▢ or restricted? ▢
Tell us why you need the road closure or restriction: _________________________________________________
Provide details of the closure or restriction – note, you will also need to provide us with a street plan or a location plan (continue on a separate sheet if necessary): _________________________________________________
Date(s) of the road closure or restriction: __________________________________________________________________________________________________
Time of the closure or restriction, from: _________________________ am - pm to _________________________ am - pm
Tell us about your Traffic Management Plan, outlining any alternate routes proposed for traffic or pedestrians and detailing any proposed signage (continue on a separate sheet if necessary):
Give details of any businesses, including bus services, taxis and residents that may be affected by the event – note you will also need to provide us with all copies of your correspondence (including minutes of meetings or transcripts) with residents, businesses etc., which outline your proposals (continue on a separate sheet if necessary): _________________________________________________
Confirm that you have:
▢ Consulted all residents, businesses, bus and taxi companies which may be affected
Structures or equipment
Provide details of any structures or other equipment that you plan to erect or place on the public road – note you may require additional permits or approvals (continue on a separate sheet if necessary)
3. Responsibilities of the applicant
The applicant must agree to the following.
- To indemnify the relevant authority from all liabilities, costs and expenses in respect of any claim or demand from any person or persons, arising out of the exercise of this authorisation or due to anything done by the applicant in holding the special event;
- To maintain adequate insurance (namely public liability cover of £10,000,000 for any incident, number of incidents unlimited) to the satisfaction of the relevant authority, complete the ‘Declaration of Public Liability Insurance for Road Closures’ and shall produce for inspection the relevant policy or policies of insurance together with the receipt for the current premiums if so required by the relevant authority;
- Pay all costs of making good any damage to the highway or street furniture for reasons of making the Order including damage to any chosen routes for diverted traffic;
- To provide, erect, maintain and promptly remove all safety measures, including all lighting, signs and barriers required to protect the public and property at the site of the event and on the diversionary route for the duration of the special event and to bear all the costs incurred in the event of failures to do so;
- To remove all objects on the road and material deposited during the event. The organisers are also expected to remove any litter from the site after the event. If the organiser fails to comply the council will arrange cleaning and charge the cost to the applicant;
- To keep pedestrian access to all premises on or accessible from the road(s) on which the special event is taking place;
- To keep accesses clear at all times for emergency vehicles during the special event and acknowledge that a prohibition or restriction will apply to all other traffic; and
- To be available before, during and after the event so that the applicant can be contacted by the relevant authority.
The Applicant should understand that failure to comply with any requirements which are included in the final Order will be taken into account by the relevant authority in considering any future applications for special events on public roads by the applicant.
I confirm that I have read and understood the responsibilities of the applicant in section 3 of this application form, and I understand that Belfast City Council may apply any or all of the conditions as it deems necessary, under the provisions of the Roads (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (Northern Ireland) 2010.
Signature of applicant: _________________________________________________
Privacy notice - how we will use information about you
Belfast City Council is the Data Controller under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the personal data it gathers for the purposes of processing road closure applications and enforcing the road closure legislation.
You are providing your personal data to the Council whose lawful basis for processing is for compliance with a legal obligation under the following legislation: the Roads (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (Northern Ireland) 2010 and the Road Traffic Regulations (NI) Order 1997. Legislation obliges the Council to permit members of the public to view your application, and to place a written notice in a local newspaper giving your name along with the purpose and some details of the proposed road closure, and this will also appear on the Council website.
The personal data may be shared internally within the Council with staff who are involved in providing this service and where necessary, between internal departments with the purpose of supporting an effective delivery of service. It may also be shared with the DFI Roads the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service, Translink and the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service for the purposes of consulting with them about road closure applications.
Your personal data will not be shared or disclosed to any other organisation without your consent, unless the law permits or places an obligation on the Council to do so. The personal data is held and stored by the Council in a safe and secure manner and in compliance with Data Protection legislation and in line with the Council’s Records Retention and Disposal Schedule.
If you have any queries regarding the processing of your personal data, contact Building Control’s Policy and Legal Officer at email@example.com or call 028 9027 0650. If you wish to contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer, write to Belfast City Council, City Hall Belfast, BT1 5GS or email firstname.lastname@example.org