About the Decade of Centenaries programme
Funded by The Executive Office, our Decade of Centenaries Programme commemorated a decade of key historical moments and events between 1912 and 1922 that shaped Northern Ireland and Ireland.
We were awarded funding from the Shared History Fund, which The National Lottery Heritage Fund delivered on behalf of the Northern Ireland Office to deliver a number of projects to mark Northern Ireland’s centenary year.
These projects, which fell under our Decade of Centenaries programme, are:
- a drama and animation programme, including a re-enactment of the King’s speech in the Council Chamber on 22 June 2021, exactly 100 years to the day that the Northern Ireland Parliament was opened by King George V
- the conservation of two chairs, currently in the Council Chamber at City Hall which were used by King George V and Queen Mary at the inauguration of the Northern Ireland Parliament
- Lord Mayor’s time capsule project for younger residents
- a Decade of Centenaries conference, which took place on Wednesday 23 March 2022. You can watch a recording of the conference on our YouTube channel (link opens in new window)
- a digital trail of artefacts (link opens in new window) and stories relating to 1921