Work has been completed on the £7 million regeneration of St Comgall’s on Divis Street.
We contributed £3.5 million BIF funding with match funding from the Northern Ireland Office’s Social Investment Fund.
We delivered the project, which restored this Grade B1 listed, former school building and created a multi-use community facility, on behalf of Falls Community Council (FCC).
FCC recognised the significance of this historic building, which has been brought back into use for the benefit of current and future generations, providing an opportunity to link the past and the present and reinstate the building as a vibrant community asset.
The site was occupied by the old Belfast Model School from 1855 until it was destroyed by fire in 1922.
The current two storey building, known as Comgall’s Public Elementary School, opened in December 1932 and closed in the mid 1990s.
Aims of the project
The project is designed to promote economic, educational, social and cultural benefits for the people who live and work in the local area and to promote good relations between communities through the provision of a multi-use community hub. The new facility includes:
- a multi-purpose function/conference hall, opening out onto a restored central courtyard
- exhibition space – enabling a rolling programme of themed exhibitions to take place
- a permanent visitor attraction outlining the history of the local area
- office accommodation and hot-desking provision for new business start-ups
- a café and information point, providing a much-needed local amenity to service visitors to the area
Expression of interest from prospective tenants
St Comgall’s offers a range of rentable space for business start-ups and social enterprises.
If you have any queries regarding renting space, please contact Falls Community Council on 028 9020 2030.
Find St Comgall's
This is a map showing where the St Comgall's is in Belfast.
This video, recorded before construction began, explains how the £7 million restoration of St Comgall’s aimed to restore this B1 listed former school building, transforming it into a multi-use community hub.