Expressions of Interest for sponsorship of Belfast Bikes
We are seeking Expressions of Interest (EoI) from suitable organisations that might be interested in sponsoring our public bike hire scheme.
This is an exciting and high-profile opportunity for an organisation to be associated with an affordable and sustainable mode of transport for residents and visitors to the city of Belfast.
We launched a public bike sharing scheme in April 2015. The aims of the scheme are to:
- support an increase in the modal share for cycling in Belfast and reducing dependency on cars, particularly for short trips
- improve the health of residents by encouraging a healthier way to travel
- give residents and visitors greater access to places that are beyond reach on foot through an affordable, sustainable transport system
- support access to employment and services by linking city centre locations
- reduce greenhouse gas and ambient pollution emissions from road transport
- improve the image of Belfast and ‘normalise’ cycling
There are currently 55 docking stations located across the city with capacity for up to 600 bikes.
- Key facts
- Number of active users: 26,000
- Average annual rentals: 169,000
- Average daily rentals: 394
- Rides per bike per day: 1.83
- Typical age profile of users: 16 to 25 (50 per cent) and 26 to 35 (30 per cent)
- Average journey time: 18 minutes
- Social media followers
|Belfast City Council
- Future development plans: hybrid electric bikes (or ebikes), social enterprise partnerships, discounts and user rewards
- Why advertise in Belfast?
- Nearly a third of Northern Ireland’s jobs are in the city, along with 15 per cent of all businesses.
- It’s the largest council area with a population of 345k living in 149k households.
- Over a third (37 per cent) of that population is aged between 15 to 39 years old.
- Belfast has a number of major attractions including Titanic Belfast, Belfast Zoo, Ulster Museum, Belfast Castle and Belfast City Hall.
- Over 1.9m overnight trips were made to the city with £417m spent by those who stayed (2019).
- There are three large educational institutions in Belfast - Queen’s University Belfast, Ulster University and Belfast Metropolitan College.
- Why advertise with Belfast City Council?
- Supporting our communities - All the money generated will be reinvested into frontline services to benefit our communities.
- Unique opportunity - Increase brand awareness by accessing strategic and prominent locations across the city that will offer maximum visibility.
- Target new audiences - Opportunities to reach residents, workers, students and tourists across the city or in targeted locations.
- Established brand - Align your organisation with a recognised and trusted brand, Belfast City Council, and be involved in creating an inclusive and sustainable future for our city.
- Corporate social responsibility - Enhance your organisation’s image by engaging in activities that support corporate social responsibility.
- Tailored options - Competitively priced, tailored and flexible options are available to suit different budgets and marketing requirements.
- Sponsorship and branding opportunities
- Bikes - all the plastic components of the bike have been designed for branding - two side panels, one centre sticker and one front basket sticker
- Branding at docking stations
- Operational vehicles and staff uniforms
- Digital media - website and user app to highlight brand and provide sponsor information
- Social media platforms – X, Facebook, Instagram
- Naming rights – the sponsor can name the scheme
We would also welcome any new and innovative ideas.
- What is acceptable sponsorship?
- All external sponsorship should adhere to the UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP Code). Where necessary, the advice and guidance in the Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) relating to advertising and signage will be followed.
- We reserve the right to refuse external sponsorship, or to withdraw it without notice.
- The agreement to allow any sponsorship does not authorise an organisation to use, without written consent, the Council’s name or logo in any other way to promote itself or give the impression of endorsement.
- Organisations will be required to sign an agreement which reflects the Council’s Terms and Conditions before any contract commences.
- The Council accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising out of, or in connection to, any external sponsorship.
- The Council is not responsible for the quality or reliability of any product(s) or service(s) offered as part of any sponsorship opportunity and would never knowingly approve external advertisement or sponsorship that is misleading, offensive, untrue or fraudulent.
- External sponsorship is not a way for any organisation to be viewed favourably by the Council in any other contractual arrangement they might be a party to.
- An advertisement or sponsorship opportunity will not be accepted if it, in the reasonable opinion of the Council:
- Is inappropriate or objectionable.
- May result in the Council being subject to prosecution.
- Promotes gambling.
- Promotes unsustainable borrowing, for example, payday loans.
- Refers to tobacco or similar products.
- Promotes the misuse of alcohol or promotes the use of alcohol to children.
- Might be deemed inappropriate for children, for example violence, pornography.
- Appears to influence support for a political party or candidate
- Appears to conflict with the Council’s wider promotion of healthy and active lifestyles.
- Appears to adversely impact on our Section 75 statutory duties relating to equality of opportunity and good relations.
- Is the subject of a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority and upheld by such Authority as a legitimate complaint.
- Is in financial or legal conflict with the Council.
- Register your interest
Complete our online form to register your interest
To request a sponsorship pack, email Fintan Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is 4pm on Friday 8 December 2023..
Watch Belfast Bikes video
Watch our short video which encourages people to explore the city on two wheels and highlights our network of more than 50 docking stations across Belfast.
To hire Belfast Bikes you can:
- buy an annual membership for £25
- buy a casual membership which gives you three days of hire for £6
- pay as you go
Visit belfastbikes.co.uk for information on hire options (link opens in new window)
If you have any questions about your account, please contact Belfast Bikes customer service team by emailing email@example.com or call 034 3357 1551.
Docking station locations
We have over 50 docking stations linking up the city.
View the locations of the docking stations (link opens in new window)
Download the app