Skip to main content

Staying safe

Advice on personal and home safety

It's important to take steps to protect you, your personal property and your home. 

  • Make sure your phone is password-protected and check banking or shopping apps are restricted with a password – this makes it difficult for people to access your personal information if you lose your phone.
  • Keep bank cards and loose cash in a locked place or with you.
  • Lock your car and keep valuables out of view. If possible, push in the wing mirrors to prevent vandalism.
  • Keep valuables in your accommodation hidden or locked up when you aren’t at home.
  • Lock your bedroom door when you aren’t at home.
  • Protect against laptop theft - you should back up your work regularly.
  • Protect against identity fraud - don’t leave personal documents (such as bank statements, driving licence or passport) in communal areas.
  • If your phone is stolen, contact the police and inform your network provider. Keep a record of your IMEI number, you can get this by dialling *#06#
  • Use cash machines during the day and be aware of your surroundings. Don't write down your PIN.
  • Be vigilant on nights out if you bring your bank card. A contactless card can be used for five £30 transactions in a day.
  • Leave lights on or use timer switches so your home looks occupied in the evenings and at weekends.
  • Activate your burglar alarm.
  • Lock doors and windows before you leave the house.
  • Take your valuables home at weekends or holidays.
  • Don't let strangers into your home.
  • Lock your front door when you're at home.
  • If you live in a block of flats, do not let strangers in the front door.
  • Travel by a GPS-tracked taxi or walk in groups at night. Plan your journey home. Always walk through brightly-lit streets.
  • Keep good relationships with neighbours as this helps people share reports or concerns about suspicious activity.

In an emergency call 999. In a non-emergency contact the police on 101.

You will also find crime prevention advice and information on (link opens in new window)


The Royal Victoria has an accident and emergency unit.  It is the nearest hospital to the university area. Students should register locally with a GP.

Students aged under 25 should get the MenACWY vaccine before starting university. This vaccine helps protect against four meningococcal groups that cause meningitis. For more information on meningitis and other health conditions, visit the nidirect website (link opens in a new window).


Excess alcohol can increase your vulnerability. Drink responsibly so you are not in a vulnerable position.  Excessive alcohol can cloud judgement and normal body functions. If your friends are in this vulnerable state, don't leave them alone to care for themselves. Don’t leave drinks unattended. Cover your drinks when you’re in a crowd or talking to friends.

For information on the health risks of alcohol, go to How alcohol affects your health (link opens in a new window).


It’s important to know what drugs contain, what the risks are and where to get help with drugs or alcohol problems. Check Drugs and alcohol NI (link opens in a new window) for local support services. 

Check what support is available on your campus.

Sexual assault

If you are in immediate danger, call the PSNI on 999. You can get help and advice from:

Sexual health

You can get confidential advice and information on sexual health.


Get fit, active and meet new friends through exercise at our:

Universities and colleges in Belfast

Queen's University Belfast

 University of Ulster

Belfast Metropolitan College

St Mary's University College

Read aloud icon Read aloud