Skip to main content

Your community

Many students choose to live in the Holylands or the wider university area of south Belfast. We're working closely with our partners to make sure that everyone living in the area respects each other and the community. 


To report a noise problem, call the noise hotline (Monday to Sunday, 8pm - 4am) on 028 9037 3006. If someone is making too much noise, our noise control officers can serve them with a warning notice, asking them to reduce the noise within ten minutes. If they don't, we can issue an on-the-spot fine of £110, or we can take them to court where they could be fined up to £5,000. We can also seize equipment such as music players, mixing decks, amplifiers and speakers.

If you're having friends round to your house remember to:

  • tell your neighbours in advance
  • ask them to contact you if the noise is annoying them
  • keep doors and windows shut, especially after 11pm
  • ask guests to stay inside and keep quiet when entering and leaving your house
  • turn music down, especially after 11pm

If you, or your guests, cause a nuisance to your neighbours you may also be investigated through the university's disciplinary procedures.

Find out more about the noise control services

Drinking on the street

It's illegal to drink on the street in most areas of Belfast, including Botanic Gardens, the Holylands and the greater university area at any time of the year.

The police and our officers can prosecute you if you're consuming alcohol in any of these areas.

Enforcement and fines

Students should be mindful of the consequences of their actions:

  • any damage to houses, shop fronts or other public property could result in a fine of up to £500
  • antisocial behaviour could lead to expulsion from university or college
  • if you are caught drinking on the street, you could get fined up to £500
  • if you are caught making excessive noise, you could get fined up to £5,000
  • if you are caught littering, you will get a £80 fine and could get fined up to £2,500 for more serious offences
  • if litter gathers in your garden you could be fined £110

Remember, if you're prosecuted for noise or on-street drinking offences you'll have a criminal conviction and this could affect future job and travel opportunities.  

Report antisocial behaviour

To report an incident of antisocial behaviour, contact the police by calling the non-emergency phone number 101.

Read aloud icon Read aloud