Super-connected BelfastWe're working to make Belfast a super-connected city.
By 2015 we will provide:
- access to next-generation fibre broadband across the entire city
- affordable ultrafast broadband to businesses that require it
- wi-fi access in areas of high footfall
- work to make access to broadband more affordable for small businesses.
The total investment will be nearly £25 million. We have received £13.7 million from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport's Urban Broadband Fund; we will contribute £3 million and £8 million will be secured from the private sector.
Super-connected Belfast is just one of our Investment Programme initiatives which aim to develop Belfast's economic infrastructure, promote growth and attract inward investment for the city.
Our aim to make Belfast a world-class digital city, benefiting business, residents, visitors, students and investors, is central to numerous other Investment Programme projects. These include:
- £4 million digital hub - working with Invest NI to promote digital technology based enterprise in the city
- £10 million Girdwood Community Hub, an EU PEACE III funded project to create a new community hub facility
- £8 million Innovation Centre at Springvale
- £8 million economy business park, a green business park on the North Foreshore
- £20 million extension to the Belfast Waterfront, an integrated convention and exhibition centre
- £100 million for the Department for Regional Development (DRD) Belfast Rapid Transit system, which aims to link communities and neighbourhoods throughout the city.