City Deals are bespoke packages of funding and decision-making powers negotiated between central government and local authorities. They're aimed at helping to harness additional investment, create new jobs and accelerate inclusive economic growth.
This short film outlines plans for the Belfast City Region.
The Belfast Region City Deal (BRCD) comprises Belfast City Council and:
Please note: links open in new window
Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Ards and North Down Borough Council Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council
- Mid and East Antrim Borough Council
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council Queen's University Belfast Ulster University Belfast Metropolitan College
- Northern Regional College
- South Eastern Regional College
- Southern Regional College
Following the announcement by the Chancellor in November 2018, the BRCD partners agreed a Heads of Terms document in March 2019 which confirmed the joint commitment to achieve full implementation of the Belfast Region City Deal by all BRCD Partners, the NI Departments and the UK Government. Outline Business Cases are currently being prepared for our 22 ambitious projects and an underpinning employability and skills programme.
A successful City Deal is about more than individual areas, it’s about working together to ensure that it benefits people living in the whole region, so that we connect them to more and better jobs and opportunities, and attract investment to the region. The Belfast Region City Deal will see the UK Government invest £350 million into the Belfast Region, with a further co-investment of upwards of £150 million from Belfast Region City Deal partners. In May 2020 the NI Executive confirmed that it will provide match funding of £350 million towards the Belfast Region City Deal.
This investment will help strengthen the region’s business offer in growth sectors such as life and health sciences, the digital and creative industries, and advanced manufacturing. It will also support next generation digital capabilities, boost tourism and support the regeneration of our region, underpinned by infrastructure developments and investment in skills to connect people to jobs and services.
As a first step, the partner councils worked with city and region stakeholders, including politicians, the private sector, universities and colleges to complete a robust analysis of our competitive strengths, the key economic challenges facing the region – and what our most pressing needs are.
This research has helped to shape the four pillars of our ambitious proposition:
BRCD partners fully support other deals for NI and will work to ensure that they are complementary to one another.
To receive a download of the Belfast Region City Deal summary, contact us by email
- Investment in Innovation and Digital Capabilities
- Digital Futures
- The Regional Innovators' Network
- The Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Centre (AMIC)
- The Centre for Digital HealthCare Technology (CDHT)
- The Digital and Innovation Platform and Partnership (DIPP)
- The Global Innovation Institute (GII)
- The Infrastructure Enabling Fund (IEF)
- The Institute for Research Excellence in Advanced Clinical Healthcare (i-REACH)
- The Screen and Media Innovation Lab
- Smart District and Testbeds Programme
- The Programme of Investment
- Belfast Story Destination Hub
- Gateway to the Mournes
- Hillsborough Castle and Heritage Village
- Gobbins Phase II
- Whitespots Country Park
- Game of Thrones Legacy attraction Moneyglass
- Carrickfergus Regeneration
- Bangor Waterfront regeneration
- St Patrick’s Barracks Regeneration
- Newry Regeneration