Belfast is a city with a rich heritage, offering a host of vibrant cultural and artistic experiences. We recognise that culture makes a very valuable contribution to the life of our city and are working hard to place culture and arts firmly on the urban regeneration agenda for Belfast.
This short video gives a flavour for the city’s cultural scene.
Cultural Framework for Belfast – action plan 2016-2020
Cultural life makes an important contribution to the economy, offering employment opportunities and developing valuable skills. It also encourages the ever growing numbers of tourists to visit Belfast.
Following extensive input from the cultural sector and partners, we have a new action plan for the period 2016-2020 to support our original Cultural Framework for Belfast (PDF - 2.05MB) which was developed in 2012.
Our vision is that by 2020, everyone in Belfast experiences and is inspired by our city’s diverse and distinctive culture and arts. Arts and heritage are valued for enriching quality of life and creating wealth, and the city’s culture and creativity is renowned throughout the world.
This vision supports the Belfast Agenda by contributing to key actions to improve the city living experience and attract tourists to Belfast, helping to achieve:
- happy and healthy people and communities.
- more jobs and a strong economy.
The Cultural Framework has four key themes:
- Distinctly Belfast: a thriving and vibrant city is a diverse city that celebrates its uniqueness and takes pride in its difference.
- Inspiring Communities: it’s vital that everyone in the city can have access to high quality cultural services and can participate in arts and heritage activities. This improves quality of life and builds confidence at an individual, community and whole-city level.
- Attracting Audiences: one of the most critical challenges for the cultural sector continues to be the capacity to engage with, retain and develop audiences locally, nationally and internationally.
- Strengthening the Sector: this is about skills development and providing opportunities to diversify income streams, including connecting the arts and heritage sectors to tourism and the creative industries, as well as introducing new business models and investment opportunities.
We provide core funding and a range of small grants for cultural, arts and heritage organisations in order to support the vision of the Cultural Framework for Belfast.
For more information, please contact Tourism, Culture and Arts by phone on 028 9027 0426 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.