Car Parking Strategy
The Belfast City Centre Regeneration and Investment Strategy identifies transport and connectivity as playing a significant role in the economic growth and regeneration of Belfast. Car parking is a vital element of this.
We’ve developed the Belfast Car Parking Strategy and Action Plan following extensive consultation and engagement.
The vision of this strategy is for Belfast to offer sufficient, high quality and appropriately located parking which supports economic development and regeneration within the city by balancing the requirements of residents, businesses, commuters and visitors.
The objectives that support this vision are:
- appropriate provision and location of car parking to support and improve the economic vitality of the city centre and district centres.
- make sure car parking provision encourages sustainable commuter travel, especially for journeys into the city centre and supports access by public transport, cycling and walking.
- minimise the potentially negative impacts of parking on residential communities in the city, particularly in inner city areas.
- work with stakeholders to improve the quality of parking and information available, ideally through technology and, in particular, develop a new parking signage and information system that supports parking and wider applications.
- identify opportunities to provide secure bicycle and coach parking in appropriate city centre locations.
- ensure appropriate provision for taxis within the city centre.
The strategy outlines actions and measures that align with these objectives and the city’s wider goals. These include actions relating to on-street (including residential areas) and off-street public and private parking.
We will implement and deliver the Strategy and Action Plan in partnership with relevant stakeholders.