Councillor Michael Long was installed as Lord Mayor of Belfast on 9 May 2022. Councillor Long represents the Lisnasharragh electoral area of Belfast.
Duties and responsibilities
As Lord Mayor of Belfast, Councillor Long has these duties and responsibilities:
- presiding over council meetings and, in the case of equality of votes, he has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Belfast by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the city
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Belfast at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Belfast at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Belfast's business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Belfast as a place of excellence in which to do business and as a tourist destination.
Addressing the Lord Mayor
If you are speaking in public and would like to welcome or introduce the Lord Mayor, the usual form of address is simply 'Lord Mayor'. For example, "and so, I'd like to welcome Councillor Michael Long, Lord Mayor of Belfast."
If you are speaking to the Lord Mayor in conversation, the correct title remains 'Lord Mayor.'
If you would like to write to the Lord Mayor, you should address your letter to 'the Right Honourable, the Lord Mayor, Councillor Michael Long.' You can also abbreviate this to 'Rt Hon, the Lord Mayor, Councillor Michael Long.' You should also begin your letter with 'Dear Lord Mayor.