Skip to main content

Planning enforcement

  • Breaches of planning controls

    We can investigate breaches of planning controls where:

    • building work which needs planning permission is undertaken without approval
    • conditions attached to a planning condition are not complied with
    • the use of a building or site is changed without planning permission
    • advertisements have been erected without consent
    • buildings have been demolished within a Conservation Area or Area of Townscape Character without consent
    • works have been carried out to a listed building without consent
    • works are undertaken to a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order or within a Conservation Area without consent.

    We will investigate complaints about breaches of planning control. Planning enforcement is a complex area and the legal processes involved can be lengthy and complicated. An instant response or resolution cannot be guaranteed.

  • Making a complaint

    You can make a complaint about a breach of planning control using the Planning Portal.

    Make a complaint about a breach of planning control (link opens in new window)

    Or, you can write to us:

    Belfast Planning Service
    Ground Floor
    Cecil Ward Building
    4-10 Linenhall Street
    BT2 8BP

    We do not investigate anonymous complaints, complaints about civil disputes or matters covered by non-planning legislation.

Read aloud icon Read aloud