New Planning Portal for Northern Ireland
A new Planning Portal launched on Monday 5 December 2022 for 10 of the 11 councils in Northern Ireland (including us) and the Department for Infrastructure (DfI).
Find out more about the new planning portal
Breaches of planning controls
We can investigate breaches of planning controls where:
- building work which needs planning permission is undertaken without approval
- conditions attached to a planning condition are not complied with
- the use of a building or site is changed without planning permission
- advertisements have been erected without consent
- buildings have been demolished within a Conservation Area or Area of Townscape Character without consent
- works have been carried out to a listed building without consent
- works are undertaken to a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order or within a Conservation Area without consent.
We will investigate complaints about breaches of planning control. Planning enforcement is a complex area and the legal processes involved can be lengthy and complicated. An instant response or resolution cannot be guaranteed.
Making a complaint
You can make a complaint about a breach of planning control using the Planning Portal.
Make a complaint about a breach of planning control (link opens in new window)
Or, you can write to us at:
Belfast Planning Service
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street
Please note that we do not investigate anonymous complaints, complaints about civil disputes or matters covered by non-planning legislation.