COVID-19 (coronavirus) update
We are operational other than the services listed below and are processing planning applications from receipt to decision.
New planning applications
We ask you to submit new applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, following our guidance document.
You can post planning applications to Belfast Planning Service, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP. However, as most staff are working remotely, postal applications are taking longer to process than emailed submissions. We are unable to accept hand delivered applications because the office is closed to the public.
If you have submitted an application by email and have not received an acknowledgement within five working days, please contact us by emailing email@example.com. We are unable to acknowledge applications submitted by post.
Commenting on planning applications
If you would like to comment on a planning application please submit your comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org rather than by post. Please make sure that you quote the application reference number and tell us your postal address in case we need to contact you.
If you have objected to or commented on a planning application we are no longer able to provide written confirmation of the final decision. However, you can track the outcome of a planning application on the Public Access Portal (opens in new window).
Our Planning Committee is now operating virtually. More details can be found in the committee section (link opens in new window).
The following parts of our service are only partially available:
- We are now undertaking site visits using a risk-based approach. If we need to enter private land to carry out a site inspection, we will contact the applicant or agent to make arrangements. Social distancing rules will be applied at all times.
- Duty Planner is now operating as a remote service you can contact by email or telephone.
- Hard copy planning applications sent by post are being dealt with more slowly because of limited access to the office. We strongly encourage customers to submit new applications, amended plans and pre-application discussions by email, following the advice in our guidance document.
The following parts of our service are unavailable:
- We are unable to receive applications delivered by hand because the office is closed to the public.
- We are unable to provide face-to-face meetings due to social distancing, however, we are providing a virtual meeting service.
- Customers are unable to view planning application files and other information in the office, which is closed. Applications, including plans and supporting information, are available to view online on the Public Access Portal website (link opens in new window). If you are unable to access the Planning Portal please contact us by email at email@example.com or by calling 02890 500 510 and we will assist you.
How to contact us
Please send all correspondence by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as this will make sure it is processed as quickly as possible. You should use this email address for sending new applications, requests for general planning advice or updates on the status of a current planning application. Please include brief details of your enquiry, including your name, address and a contact telephone number and where relevant, the planning application reference number.
If you don't have access to email, please call 028 9050 0510 to speak to someone who will log your details and arrange for an officer to contact you.
If you have any other queries or want to suggest potential solutions for overcoming these, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Planning services for Belfast
We are responsible for delivering planning functions in Belfast. This involves:
Our public office, located at 4-10 Linenhall Street, is open from 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Call 028 9050 0510
You can pick up, submit and check the status of an application form, pay fees, and ask to see our duty planning officer for general planning advice.
Statement of Community Involvement
The Statement of Community Involvement sets out our policy for involving the community in the production of the Belfast Local Development Plan and the consideration of planning applications.
It describes who, how and when the community will be invited to participate in the different stages of putting together the local development plan and the determination of planning applications.
The statement will support and supplement the commitments in our Equality Scheme and our responsibilities to consult under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. It also represents a further step towards embedding meaningful consultation into our planning and decision-making processes.
The revised SCI was agreed by council on 4 December 2017 and approved by the Department for Infrastructure on 29 March 2018, in accordance with Regulation 7 of the Planning (Statement of Community Involvement) Regulations (NI) 2015, Belfast City Council.
Regionally significant planning applications
The Department for Infrastructure has responsibility for dealing with planning applications that have regional significance.
If you have a query relating to a regionally significant planning application you should contact the Department directly. Call 0300 200 7830 or email firstname.lastname@example.org