Skip to main content
Dog control and animal welfare

Report a dog or animal welfare issue

  • Reporting a dog or animal welfare issue

    You can report:

    • a stray, lost or stolen dog
    • dog fouling
    • an overheating dog
    • a dead animal

    We also have information on reporting animal welfare issues that apply to animals such as horses and donkeys and contact details for reporting wild (feral) cats. 

    Operating hours

    Our dog wardens operational hours are:

    Time To report
    Sunday to Saturday - except public and bank holidays
    8am - 8pm
    Call 028 9027 0431.
    5pm - 8pm
    8am - 8pm
    Leave a voicemail.
    Messages will be responded to by an officer as soon as possible.
  • Report a stray dog

    If you find a stray dog, call our dog wardens on 028 9027 0431.

    They'll arrange to collect it. You may also be asked for:

    • your name, address and telephone number,
    • a description of the dog including its type, colour, size and approximate age,
    • the time, date and location where you found the dog.
  • Report a lost or stolen dog

    To report a lost or stolen dog, call us on 028 9027 0431.

    We can then check to see if it has been picked up by our wardens or taken to our dog pound at:

    Nutts Corner Boarding Kennels
    18 Dundrod Road
    Nutts Corner
    Co. Antrim

    Telephone: 028 9082 5317

    Facebook: Nutts Corner Boarding Kennels (link opens in new window)

    If you're collecting a lost or stolen dog please call in advance and bring photographic ID, your dog's licence number and the release fee.

  • Report dog fouling

    Help us clamp down on dog fouling by reporting it, you can:

    We want to know:

    • Where the dog fouling is – the exact location will really help, include street names, areas, or landmarks.
    • The time you think the dog fouling happens – do you know what time the offending dog is usually walked?
    • What the dog looks like – if you know the colour, breed or size this will help us identify the offender.
  • Report an animal welfare issue

    We are responsible for enforcing the Welfare of Animals (NI) Act 2011. This applies to non-farmed animals only - these are domestic pets of any vertebrate species and equines such as horses and donkeys.

    If you have any concerns about a domestic animal, horse or donkey or think an animal is suffering from neglect, you should report an animal welfare issue.

    You can also report an issue by email or phone.

    Time  Contact details 
    During normal office hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm 

     If your call is not urgent please contact us during normal office hours.

    We will investigate complaints and enforce the legislation, but an animal's welfare is always the responsibility of the owner or keeper. All reports are confidential and you can report concerns anonymously. 

    We can take action to improve the welfare of non-farmed animals including:

    • providing advice
    • issuing an improvement notice
    • taking animals into their possession and
    • taking prosecution action

    Welfare of farm animals

    Welfare complaints about farmed animals (animals bred or kept for the production of food, wool or skin or other farming purposes) should be referred to the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) (link opens in new window). 

    Welfare of wild animals

    Welfare complaints about wildlife crime such as badger baiting, bird poisoning, deer poaching, or animal fighting should be referred to the PSNI on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

    You should also contact the PSNI about wild animals or animals on the road.

  • Report an overheating dog

    If you see a dog overheating in a car, you can call us:

    Opening times Phone number
    Monday to Friday
    8.30am - 5pm
    028 9027 0431 
    Outside of these hours PSNI on 999 

    If a dog suffers or dies because they were left in a hot car, their owner can face prosecution for neglect and cruelty.

  • Reporting feral (wild) cats

    The Cats Protection organisation is experienced in these matters and will provide advice. Email or call 028 9048 0202.

    Cats are free to roam and will often spend long periods away from their home. They are more likely to do so if they are being fed by different people. Our advice is not to feed cats you don't own.

    If you have any welfare concerns for a cat and know the owners address, report the issue to animal welfare (link opens in new window).

  • Report a dead animal

    You can report a dead animal (link opens in new window) on the road to our Street Cleansing team.

    You can also email or call us on 028 9027 0230 to make a report.

    If an animal dies in your house, you must make your own arrangements to dispose of your animal.

  • Dog control fines

    Dog control fines are issued in accordance with The Fouling of Land by Dogs (Belfast City Council) Act 2012 (link opens in new window). These are the fines issued in the previous 12 months.

    Month Fouling No licence Straying
    September 2020 0 0 0
    August 2020 0 0 0
    July 2020 0 0 0
    June 2020 
    May 2020 
    April 2020 0 0 0
    March 2020 
    February 2020 18 30 21
    January 2020  15  24 30 
    December 2019  14  30 
    November 2019  17  26 
    October 2019  5 14  30 
    Total 56 106 142

Contact us

For more information and advice, get in touch.

028 9027 0431

Dog control, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP

Read aloud icon Read aloud