Guard dog kennels
As a precautionary measure in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), normal services for Environmental Health and City Protection Services have been suspended.
If you operate guard dog kennels within the Belfast City Council electoral area, you must register with us.
How to register
There is no charge to register guard dog kennels, but you must have a valid dog licence before you can apply.
Register guard dog kennels
Please read the terms and conditions for online services and our privacy statement.
What happens when I register?
If this is your first application, we'll arrange an inspection of the kennels to make sure they comply with our terms and conditions. Once we are satisfied, we'll issue you with a certificate of registration.
Our wardens will then inspect your kennels annually. You must show proof of your public liability insurance during this inspection.
The registration remains valid until you no longer need it or if we decide to revoke it.
Terms and conditions for kennels
All kennelling facilities must meet Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) guidelines and be in accordance with the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
This means that:
- they must provide sufficient exercise areas, bedding and food for the number of dogs kennelled.
- the dogs must have access to water, fresh air and daylight.
- the dogs must be vaccinated and registered with a vet.
- there must be isolation facilities for the dogs.
- there should be an environmental management system in place.
- the kennelling facility must have adequate warning signs displayed around the perimeter of the premises and at any access points.
Can my application be refused?
We may refuse or cancel your application if you have been convicted of any offence under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983 (as amended) or under Part III of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
This also applies if you do not comply with our terms and conditions.