Stay warm at winter
As the temperature drops, it is important to keep yourself warm and take particular care of your health and well being.
Age NI winter helpline
If you need help to stay warm or if you know an older person struggling this winter, contact the Age NI Advice and Advocacy Service on 0808 808 7575.
Looking out for neighbours
During winter some of our older and more vulnerable relatives, friends and neighbours can find it difficult to get out and about. Why not lend them a helping hand?
You can help your older neighbours by doing some of the following:
- Call in to make sure that everything is alright and to find out if they need anything.
- Check they are warm enough. Make sure their heating system is working properly and time for the weather. Suggest blankets, hot water bottles and hot drinks.
- Make sure that they are drinking plenty of fluids and eating hot meals.
- Suggest that they get the flu jab from their local GP or health centre.
- Keep an eye our for signs that something could be wrong such as milk not being taken in and curtains remaining closed.
- Make sure there are no fire hazards and that they have a working smoke alarm. They can call us for a free home safety check on 028 9091 8715.
- If you're going out to buy groceries or on other errands, offer to pick up shopping for them.
We have provided useful numbers you can contact in an emergency.
Reducing home fuel costs
Winter Fuel Payments
Winter Fuel Payments are made to help with heating costs during periods of cold weather. The payment is paid automatically by the Social Security Agency to qualifying groups.
Seniors can also apply for a winter fuel payment from the Social Security Agency. These are available to people receiving a state pension or certain benefits, as well as those in employment, if they are eligible.
Visit the NIDirect website to check if you are entitled to a payment. If you or someone you know qualifies for this payment, you can use this money to buy 'Stay Warm' oil savings stamps.
Fuel stamp scheme
Our fuel stamp scheme - 'Stay Warm' - helps householders save for home heating oil, by spreading the cost of fuel over several weeks.
You can buy oil stamps from a variety of participating retailers, collect them on a savings card and use the value of the stamps to pay for all or part of your oil when placing an order.
Warm Homes Scheme
If you receive certain benefits you could be eligible for insulation and heating through the Warm Homes Scheme. For more information, visit NIHE's Warm Homes NI scheme advice
Affordable Warmth scheme