Last updated: Thursday 7 May 2020
We remain open and have new working practices in place to keep the system moving. However, as most processes are now being carried out remotely, this may result in some delays. We have published a guidance document on how to submit a new application, amended plan or request for a Pre Application Discussion (PAD) by email.
Please submit new applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, following the advice in our guidance document.
You can still submit an application by post to Belfast Planning Service, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP. However, as we are working remotely, postal applications will be dealt with more slowly. Please note that as the office is closed to the public we are unable to accept hand delivered applications.
If you have submitted an application and have not received an acknowledgement within five working days, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
How to contact us
Please send all correspondence by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as this will ensure it is processed as quickly as possible.
If you require general informal planning advice or an update on the status of a current planning application, please email email@example.com with brief details of your enquiry including your name, address and a contact telephone number and where relevant, the planning application reference number.
Alternatively, if you do not have access to email, please call 028 9050 0510 to speak to someone who will log your details and arrange for an officer to contact you.
If you have any other issues that you would like to raise and, most importantly, potential solutions in overcoming these, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Current plans and policy services
- We are receiving new applications and PADs by email to email@example.com, with payments made by BACS. You can continue to post your application to us, however postal submissions are more likely to be subject to delays. As our office is closed to the public at present, we are unable to accept hand delivered submissions.
- We are processing amended plans and supporting information received by email.
- We are continuing to progress all applications and PADs already in the system including internal assessment, liaison with consultees and providing feedback to applicants and agents.
- Statutory and non-statutory consultees are continuing to provide advice to us remotely.
- We are accommodating virtual meetings with customers using video conferencing and telephone calls.
- We are issuing decisions on Advertisement Consent, Listed Building Consent, Conservation Area Consent, Non-Material Change, Discharge of Condition and Certificates of Lawful Development.
- We are issuing decisions for Planning Permission for existing applications which have already been through the neighbour notification process.
- We are progressing all applications as far as we can, and will be issuing neighbour notification letters on new applications when we have office access again.
- Our Chief Executive has been given special emergency delegated powers in lieu of the Planning Committee. We reported “Committee applications” in April for a decision (subject to agreement to the new processes by the Department for Infrastructure).
- We are processing new PADs by email with payment made by BACS
- We are processing amended plans and supporting information by email
- We are processing representations submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Duty Planner is available as a remote service which will continue to deal with general planning enquiries. (Queries about specific applications should be directed to the case officer).
- We are processing Property Certificate requests by email.
- We are continuing the preparation for the Independent Examination for the draft Plan Strategy as part of the Local Development Plan
- Work is continuing with stakeholders in relation to the ongoing preparation of Supplementary Planning Guidance
- We are providing consultation responses to Planning Applications
- We are continuing to progress all live tree applications and Tree Preservation Order requests already in the system including internal assessment, liaison with consultees and providing advice and feedback to applicants and agents.
- We are processing Property Certificate requests by email
Find out about our responsibilities, our public office opening times and location.
Information on the latest applications that are open for comment.
Information on when you need to apply for planning permission, how to do so and fees, as well as links to application forms.
Find out about the adopted and draft Development Plans for the Belfast area, and planning policies relevant to Belfast and the wider region.
Information about our enforcement service and how to make a complaint about a breach of planning control.
Read about our work to protect the city’s 12 conservation areas through the introduction of special arrangements, known as Article 4 directions. You’ll also find information on Tree Preservation Orders (TPO), a statutory protection afforded to trees under the Planning Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.