Last updated: Friday 29 May 2020
We are operational other than the services listed below and are processing planning applications from receipt to decision.
While our service continues to operate, please be advised that some of our staff have been furloughed which may impact on our service delivery and our ability to respond as quickly as usual. We have furloughed staff on a rotational basis in order to limit impact to service delivery.
Please continue to contact us as outlined below during this period and we will resolve any issues as quickly as possible.
We ask you to submit new applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, following our new guidance document. Download guidance document (PDF 901KB)
Applications can continue to be submitted by post to Belfast Planning Service, Ground Floor, Cecil Ward Building, 4-10 Linenhall Street, Belfast, BT2 8BP. However, as the majority of staff are working remotely, postal applications are taking longer to process than emailed submissions. Please note that as the office is currently closed to the public, we are unable to accept hand delivered applications.
The following parts of our service are only partially available:
- Duty Planner is now operating as a remote service contactable by email or telephone.
- Hard copy planning applications can only submitted by post are being dealt with more slowly because of limited access to the office and we strongly encourage customers to submit new applications, amended plans and pre-application discussions by email, following the advice in our guidance document. Download guidance document (PDF 901KB)
The following parts of our service are unavailable:
- No site visits are being undertaken for planning applications due to Government restrictions on movement and social distancing, however we are working on a strategy to safely introduce these into the service.
- We are unable to receive applications delivered by hand because the office is closed to the public.
- We are unable to provide face-to-face meetings due to social distancing, however, we are providing a virtual meeting service.
- Customers are unable to view planning application files and other information in the office, which is closed. Applications, including plans and supporting information, are available to view online on the NI Planning Portal website – Public Access. If you are unable to access the Planning Portal please contact us by email at email@example.com or by telephoning 02890 500 510 and we will assist you.
Find out about our responsibilities, our public office opening times and location.
Information on the latest applications that are open for comment.
Information on when you need to apply for planning permission, how to do so and fees, as well as links to application forms.
Find out about the adopted and draft Development Plans for the Belfast area, and planning policies relevant to Belfast and the wider region.
Information about our enforcement service and how to make a complaint about a breach of planning control.
Read about our work to protect the city’s 12 conservation areas through the introduction of special arrangements, known as Article 4 directions. You’ll also find information on Tree Preservation Orders (TPO), a statutory protection afforded to trees under the Planning Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.