City Hall Exhibition
The permanent visitor exhibition opened in 2017 and is located on the ground floor east wing of Belfast City Hall. It offers a journey from Belfast’s past to present, showing the vibrancy and diversity of the City across six themed zones. The exhibition stretches through 16 separate rooms, all presented within the original architecture of City Hall as designed by Alfred Brumwell Thomas in the late 1890s.
It is free to enter the exhibition but you must book a ticket. It is one booking per person.
The front doors of City Hall are closed during the set up and operation of the Christmas Market. You can access the Visitor Exhibition at the rear entrance until early January 2022.
Download the City Hall app
Free to download, the app offers self-guided tour notes for our stained glass window collection and the monuments and memorials in City Hall grounds.
You can also download a copy of our multi-language audio content for £1.99 which adds additional information and interviews from the people of Belfast to enhance your self-guided tour. Please note the audio tour is not a translation of the exhibition displays.
The City Hall Visitor Exhibition is open Monday to Friday, from 9.30am to 5pm (last admission at 4pm). The exhibition and City Hall are closed at weekends, but this is kept under review. For opening times during public and bank holidays, go to our Holiday arrangements.
- Belfast City Hall Visitor Exhibition is open with reduced capacity and booking is essential.
- Tickets can be booked online through the booking system before your planned visit. The online booking system shows space availability for specified time slots – 15 minute time slots for 15 people from 9.30am to 4pm.
- One booking per person. For bookings of more than one person (15 people maximum) please book individual time slots available.
- All visitors including children wishing to visit the City Hall exhibition must have a booking confirmation email. Parents can use their email address and mobile number to book for children under 16.
- We require the name, phone number and email address of each person aged 16 years or above visiting the premises.
- Parents can use their name, email address and mobile number to book for children under 16.
- The booking system collects visitor information to assist with track and trace. We have a legal requirement to obtain and retain this information for 21 days.
- The Visitor Exhibition is self-guided and you are asked to arrive five minutes before your exhibition booking time and check in at City Hall reception.
We are unable to accommodate commercial tour groups, community or school groups, but this will be kept under review.
Individual bookings can be made for up to 15 people per 15 minute time slot.
For enquiries, please email email@example.com or call 028 9027 0456.
Visitors with special requirements
We recommend that visitors or groups with special requirements contact us in advance to find out. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 028 9027 0456.
Induction loops are available at the Visitor Exhibition and Tour Reception, The Bobbin Coffee Shop and Gift Shop.
The City Hall exhibition is fully wheelchair accessible on the ground floor of City Hall.
We have sign language videos that give an overview of each room in our exhibition in three languages. These can be downloaded to your device below arrival or downloaded on site.
The Gift Shop is currently not open, but operations will be kept under review.
There are six main themes in our exhibition.