City Hall Exhibition
The permanent visitor exhibition opened in 2017 and is located on the ground floor east wing of Belfast City Hall. It offers a journey from Belfast’s past to present, showing the vibrancy and diversity of the City across six themed zones. The exhibition stretches through 16 separate rooms, all presented within the original architecture of City Hall as designed by Alfred Brumwell Thomas in the late 1890s.
It is free to enter the exhibition for individuals but booking is essential.
Visitors can hire and audio guide which offers additional content and is available in eight different languages (English, Irish, Ulster-Scots, French, German, Spanish, Mandarin, Polish). You can also buy a commemorative booklet for just £1.
Download the City Hall app
Free to download, the app offers self-guided tour notes for our stained glass window collection and the monuments and memorials in City Hall grounds.
You can also download a copy of our multi-language audio content for £1.99 which adds additional information and interviews from the people of Belfast to enhance your self-guided tour. Please note the audio tour is not a translation of the exhibition displays.
The City Hall Visitor Exhibition is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm (last admission time is 4pm).
The Exhibition and City Hall are currently not open at weekends, but this will be kept under review.
- Belfast City Hall Visitor Exhibition reopens with reduced capacity and booking is essential.
- Tickets can be booked online through the booking system before your planned visit. The online booking system shows space availability for specified time slots – 15 minute time slots for 15 people from 9.30am to 4pm.
- One booking per person. For bookings of more than one person (15 people maximum) please book individual time slots available.
- All visitors including children wishing to visit the City Hall exhibition must have a booking confirmation email. Parents can use their email address and mobile number to book for children under 16.
- The booking system collects visitor information to assist with track and trace.
- The Visitor Exhibition is self-guided and you are asked to arrive five minutes before your exhibition booking time and check in at City Hall reception.
We are unable to accommodate commercial tour groups, community or school groups at this time, but this will be kept under review and we endeavour to provide this service soon.
Individual bookings can be made for up to 15 people per 15 minute time slot.
For enquiries, please email email@example.com or call 028 9027 0456.
Visitors with special requirements
We recommend that visitors or groups with special requirements contact us in advance to find out. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 028 9027 0456.
Induction loops are available at the Visitor Exhibition and Tour Reception, The Bobbin Coffee Shop and Gift Shop.
The City Hall exhibition is fully wheelchair accessible on the ground floor of City Hall.
Sign Language - We have sign language videos that give an overview of each room in our exhibition in three languages. These can be downloaded to your device below arrival or downloaded on site.
The Gift Shop is currently not open, but operations will be kept under review.
There are six main themes in our exhibition.