Belfast Local Development Plan
We are responsible for developing a Local Development Plan for Belfast, working with local people, to create a clear vision of how the council area should develop and what it will look like in the years to come.
The Local Development Plan will:
- provide a 15-year plan framework to support economic and social needs in the city
- facilitate growth by coordinating public and private investment to encourage development where it can be of most benefit to the wellbeing of the community
- allocate sufficient land to meet the needs of the city
- provide an opportunity for all stakeholders, including the public, to have a say about where and how development within the local area should take place
- provide a plan-led framework for rational and consistent decision making
- deliver the spatial aspects of The Belfast Agenda, the city's community plan.
Local Development Plan process
Ongoing engagement and community consultation is an important element of the
Belfast Local Development Plan process ongoing alongside the work on the
required Development Plan documentation and evidence base.
Here are the key pieces of work carried out so far:
The formal Development Plan documents, associated publications and evidence
base are available to download from the Document Library.
The Draft Plan Strategy documentation, representations and counter-representations have been submitted to the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), where they will be considered as part of the Independent Examination (IE) process. DfI has appointed the Planning Appeals Commission (PAC) to conduct an IE. Further information on the status of the Draft Plan Strategy can be found on the PAC’s specific webpage for the Belfast LDP at: www.pacni.gov.uk/LDP/BCC. This will include updates on the IE programme in due course. Once the programming is confirmed by the PAC, we also intend to revise our LDP timetable.
If you have any queries on accessing the documentation, contact the Planning
Office at firstname.lastname@example.org Our Planning team can also
help on 028 9050 0510.