Updated on Wednesday 18 May 2022
Belfast Zoo is open to the public.
Our top priority is keeping our staff, our animals and our visitors as safe as possible. The zoo has implemented a range of health and safety precautions to help provide a safe and enjoyable visit for everyone.
- Online booking is recommended for all visitors except members.
- Visitors must select a one-hour entry session when you book. There is no limit on how long you can stay in the zoo after entry.
- A daily capacity limit is in place.
- Visitors are advised to follow the recommended one-way system around the zoo.
- Visitors are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings in indoor areas.
- Visitors are reminded to wash and sanitise their hands regularly. Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the zoo.
- Protective screens are in place at staff contact points in the Visitor Centre.
- Visitors should not come to the zoo if they have Covid-19 or symptoms of Covid-19.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1. Is Belfast Zoo open to the public again?
Yes, Belfast Zoo reopened to the public on 30 April 2021.
- 2. How do I buy a zoo ticket?
We recommend booking online to receive a ticket discount. You can buy tickets online. Alternatively you can call the zoo on 028 9077 6277.
- 3. I am a carer and can’t buy a ticket online. How can I visit the zoo?
As we require documentation for free carer’s admission, we are unable to provide online booking for this ticket type. Please book online for the rest of your party and the carer can gain entry on arrival. If you have multiple carers in your party, please phone the zoo on 028 9077 6277 to ensure there is sufficient space for your visit.
- 4. What are the zoo’s opening hours?
The zoo is currently open from 10am until 6pm. We are operating time entry sessions which you must book in advance. Once you enter the zoo you can stay until the zoo closes.
Last entry is at 4.30pm. Animal houses close at 5pm.
- 5. Is there a fast track queue for members?
Members may attend the zoo at any time during opening hours. We may offer a fast track queue during peak times at management's discretion.
- 6. What areas within Belfast Zoo are closed?
All animal houses are open. Treetop Tearoom has a takeaway service only. Some areas of the zoo are closed for your health and safety.
- 7. Is there any reason why I should not visit the zoo?
Please do not visit the zoo if you have recently tested positive for Covid-19 or have symptoms of Covid-19. Read more guidance about Covid-19 (link opens in new window)
- 8. Are the toilet facilities open?
All public toilets within the zoo are open as normal. These are cleaned regularly throughout the day.
- 9. Are the cafés open?
Please check our current café opening times.
- 10. Are the picnic tables available for use?
Seating is available around the zoo, at the Treetop café (outdoor only) and at the Lion’s Den café (indoor and outdoor).
- 11. How can I check my membership status or renew my membership?
All membership cards will be checked on arrival at the zoo. If you are unsure of your current membership status or wish to renew, please contact us in advance of your visit by emailing email@example.com or calling 028 9077 6277. We kindly ask that members who wish to renew their membership do this prior to their visit to avoid delays in the queue.
- 12. Is the zoo’s gift shop open?
Yes, the Zoovenir Shop is open as normal. Current opening hours are 10am to 6pm.
- 13. Can I book an animal experience?
All animal experiences at Belfast Zoo are temporarily on hold. If you have any queries, please contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 14. I’ve already booked online but want to add more people to my booking – is this possible?
Please check availability for your selected date and entry time online and make an additional booking if space is available.
- 15. The entry slot is one hour – do I only get one hour in the zoo for my visit?
The entry slots were introduced to help effectively manage admissions queues. Once you enter the zoo, there is no limit on your visit and you can stay until closing time.
Have another question?
Please email email@example.com or call 028 9077 6277.