Updated on 18 August 2021
Belfast Zoo is open to the public.
Our top priority is keeping our staff, our animals and our visitors as safe as possible. The zoo has implemented a range of health and safety precautions to help provide a safe and enjoyable visit for everyone. These include:
- Opening of the zoo’s Outdoor Trek, a one-way system around the zoo’s 55-acre site. The Outdoor Trek is predominantly outdoors and social distancing is advised at all times. Visitors must follow this clearly marked one-way system.
- Visitors must book online tickets for your selected date. Note that zoo members do not have to book and can gain entry to the zoo on arrival and with presentation of valid membership card.
- Visitors must select a one-hour entry session at the time of booking and arrive at the zoo during this time. There is no limit on how long you can stay in the zoo after entry.
- Limited daily capacity on zoo visitors.
- Floor markings illustrate two-metre distances to manage safe queueing and pinch points.
- Protective screening is in place at staff contact points.
- Our indoor animal areas are open except the Rainforest House.
- Capacity limits are placed on some indoor areas.
- All visitors must wear a face covering in all public indoor areas.
- Keeper talks and animal feeding times are unavailable.
- The Treetop Tearoom is open from Friday – Monday during winter (October to March) for takeaway only.
- The Lion’s Den café is closed over winter (October to March).
- Our children's play park is open.
- Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the zoo site.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1. Is Belfast Zoo open to the public again?
Belfast Zoo is open to all visitors. Tickets to attend must be bought in advance online or alternatively by phone. Members are not required to book their tickets before arriving.
- 2. How do I buy a ticket?
You can buy tickets online. Alternatively you can call the zoo on 028 9077 6277. Please do not come to the zoo without having purchased tickets in advance as you will not be able to gain entry.
- 3. I am a carer and can’t buy a ticket online. How can I visit the zoo?
As we require documentation for free carer’s admission, we are unable to provide online booking for this ticket type. Please book online for the rest of your party and the carer can gain entry on arrival. If you have multiple carers in your party, please phone the zoo on 028 9077 6277 to ensure there is sufficient space for your visit.
- 4. What are the zoo’s opening hours?
From October to March, Belfast Zoo is open daily (except 25 and 26 December) from 10am to 4pm. We are operating hourly entry sessions from 10am with last admission at 2.30pm. Once you enter the zoo, you are free to enjoy your visit until we close at 4pm.
- All tickets must be bought in advance. Buy your ticket now
From April to September, Belfast Zoo is open daily from 10am until 6pm. We are operating hourly entry sessions from 10am with last admission is at 4.30pm. Some animals will be brought off show from 3.30pm. Once you enter the zoo, you are free to enjoy your visit until we close at 6pm.
- 5. Is there a fast track queue for members?
Members may attend the zoo at any time during opening hours. We may offer a fast track queue during peak times at management's discretion.
- 6. What areas within Belfast Zoo are closed?
The Rainforest House is closed but all other animal houses are open. Treetop Tearoom has a takeaway service only. Some areas of the zoo are closed for your health and safety.
- 7. Is there any reason why I should not visit the zoo?
Please do not visit the zoo if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. You should follow the official guidance to COVID-19 restrictions.
- 8. Are the toilet facilities open?
All public toilets within the zoo are open as normal. These are cleaned regularly throughout the day.
- 9. Are the cafes open?
The Treetop Tearoom is open from Friday – Monday during winter (October to March) for takeaway only. Outdoor seating is available.
The Lion’s Den café is closed over winter (October to March). The cafés are not accepting reusable takeaway cups.
- 10. Are the picnic tables available for use?
Seating is available around the zoo, at the Treetop café (outdoor only) and at the Lion’s Den café (indoor and outdoor).
- 11. How can I check my membership status or renew my membership?
All membership cards will be checked on arrival at the zoo. If you are unsure of your current membership status or wish to renew, please contact us in advance of your visit by emailing email@example.com or calling 028 9077 6277. We kindly ask that members who wish to renew their membership do this prior to their visit to avoid delays in the queue.
- 12. Is the zoo’s gift shop open?
Yes, our gift shop is open and has a one-way system in place. We are limiting the number of people who can enter at one time and visitors must wear a face covering. We encourage contactless payments but we can also accept cash.
- 13. Can I book an animal experience?
All animal experiences at Belfast Zoo are temporarily on hold. If you have any queries, please contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 14. I’ve already booked online but want to add more people to my booking – is this possible?
Please check availability for your selected date and entry time online and make an additional booking if space is available.
- 15. The entry slot is one hour – do I only get one hour in the zoo for my visit?
The entry slots were introduced to help effectively manage admissions queues. Once you enter the zoo, there is no limit on your visit and you can stay until closing time.
Have another question?
Please email email@example.com or call 028 9077 6277.