Easter holiday collections
If your usual bin or Bryson recycling box collection day falls on Monday 13 April (Easter Monday), your bin or boxes will be collected on Saturday 11 April. Bin and Bryson recycling box collections due on Tuesday 14 April will be collected as usual.
Coronavirus update: changes to waste services
Last updated: Friday 3 April 2020
This page gives information on which waste services have been suspended, which are running as usual and what to do with coronavirus waste. We are reviewing our service delivery on a daily basis. Please check this page or our social media regularly and share updates with neighbours and friends who may not be online.
Waste and recycling collection services
- From Wednesday 1 April, normal collections have resumed for black, brown and blue bins. Please present your bins for collection on your usual collection day. Blue bins that were missed will be collected on the next scheduled day. Find your bin collection day online.
- Bryson recycling box collections are continuing as usual. From 6 April, you will need to sort your recycling differently. Find out how to sort your recycling from 6 April (opens in new window).
- Purple glass recycling box collections have been suspended. If possible, please continue to separate and store any glass waste until our normal collection resumes.
- The wheelie box trial in north Belfast has been suspended. Please put your food and garden waste into your brown bin for collection. If possible, please continue to separate and store any recyclable waste until our normal collection resumes. If this is not possible, you can put these into your black bin.
- We're unable to deliver green food waste bags at this time. If you have none left, you can put food scraps into your brown bin without a bag, or wrap them in newspaper instead.
To help our crews as much as possible, you should:
- not leave side waste or extra rubbish bags next to your bin, as we can’t collect them
- sort your recycling properly
- ensure you wash your hands, before and after handling your bins or recycling boxes
- wipe the handle of your bin and boxes down after you leave it at your usual collection point
- not approach our staff and follow social distancing guidance
- make sure disposable gloves are placed into your black bin once you’ve finished using them
- visit NI Direct for more advice on bin hygiene and fly-tipping
You must not put items such as used tissues or disposable cleaning cloths into your recycling bins or boxes. This is very important.
If you have suspected, or confirmed coronavirus, before you put items such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths in your black waste bin, you should:
- double-bag them, tying the bags securely
- keep them separate from other waste for 72 hours before putting them into your black waste bin for collection
Recycling centres and civic amenity sites closed
Our recycling centres and civic amenity sites are now closed. This is for the safety of our crews and the public.
New black bin orders are suspended
If your black bin has been lost or stolen please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 032 8100.
Bulky waste collections suspended
We’re not taking new bookings for bulky waste collections.
Thank you for your continued support and patience in these challenging circumstances.
Find your bin and box collection days and tips on using your bin correctly.
Check what items go in your bins and boxes.
Book a bulky waste collection and find out how to prepare for a collection.
Report a missed bin collection or a lost, stolen, damaged or burnt bin.
Order a new bin online, by telephone or post.
If you're physically unable to leave your bin out for collection you can apply for our assisted
Arrange a commercial waste collection, get holiday collection dates and tips on using your bin correctly.
Book an asbestos collection and check guidelines for removing asbestos.
Download the free bin-ovation app for information on your bins and collections.